The Rice Lake Area School District provides the only Reading Recovery program in Northwestern Wisconsin, a proven literacy intervention program that has been effectively operating in the United States for 25 years.
What is Reading Recovery?
- Reading Recovery is a research-based, short-term intervention of one-to-one teaching for the lowest-achieving first graders.
- Reading Recovery students receive 30-minute lessons each school day for 12 to 20 weeks from a specially trained teacher.
- As soon as students can read and write at grade level and demonstrate that they can continue to achieve, their lessons are discontinued and new students receive this individual instruction.
What happens during Reading Recovery lessons?
- Each lesson consists of the following:
- Re-reading familiar stories
- Reading a story that was read for the first time the day before
- Working with letters and words using magnetic letters
- Writing a story
- Reading a new book
- The teacher instructs, demonstrates problem-solving strategies, and provides just enough support to help the child develop effective reading and writing strategies and work as independently as possible.
- Accelerated learning is possible because Reading Recovery teachers base their instruction on carefully documented daily observations of what each child already knows about reading and writing. This efficient approach allows future instruction to work from the child's strengths.
Rice Lake Area School District has its own trained "Teacher Leader":
- Betty Jahnke spent an entire year in extensive training to become a certified Teacher Leader, and she currently works with Reading Recovery students as well as instructing, mentoring and supporting the district's Reading Recovery teachers.
- Please feel free to contact her regarding the Reading Recovery program by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 715-234-3145, ext. #5014.
"What Works Clearinghouse" research finds that Reading Recovery works!
· This independent review procedure revealed that just one beginning reading program, Reading Recovery, has positive effects across all four areas studied:
o Alphabetics (phonemic awareness, print awareness, letter knowledge, and phonics)
o General reading achievement
Reading Recovery student success:
- After just 12 to 20 weeks, approximately 75% of the lowest literacy achievers in first grade reach grade level standards.